TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of November 22, 2020
1.The nation's deepest cave is 1,593 ft deep and is located at Carlsbad Caverns National Park. What state will you travel to when you visit this cave?
- New Mexico
2.Why do many Alaskan car and truck windshields have cracks?
- Because everyone drives electric cars.
- Because it gets dark early, and everyone drives with their lights on.
- Because sled dogs send flying booties into the roads.
- Because gravel provides good traction when temperatures are too low for road salt to work. Because of this, gravel gets thrown up by tires.
- Because oil fumes crack glass.
3.Which would be used in a similar way in a sentence to the old-time expression, "Lo"?
4.When someone is between a rock and a hard place, he...
- can't win for losing
- has stars in his eyes
- is wearing rose colored glasses
- wears his heart on his sleeve
- is a chip of the old block
5.During World War II, rationing in the United States involved
- Glass, plastic, and newspapers
- Water, sugar, and flour
- Sugar, gasoline, and meat
- Gasoline, film, and shoes
- Newspapers, chocolate, and disks
6.If a stuffed turkey must roast for approximately 25 min. per pound, which approximate pair below is WRONG?
- 11.5 lbs. - about 4 hrs. 45 min.
- 16 lbs. - about 6 hrs. 45 min.
- 20 lbs. - about 8 hrs. 15 min.
- 18 lbs. - about 7.5 hours
- 13.75 lbs. - about 6.5 hrs.
7.In the nineteenth century, an iron horse was:
- a wagon
- a strong horse
- a breathing machine
- a locomotive
- a blacksmith
8.This state's nickname is The Palmetto State
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
9.Which two are land-locked?
- Bolivia and Chile
- Brazil and Peru
- Columbia and Argentina
- Paraguay and Venezuela
- Bolivia and Paraguay
10.Miniscule is to small as
- Quiet is to silent
- Evil is to dangerous
- Reticent is to shy
- Omnipotent is to strong
- Tall is to slender
© 2006-2020 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.